Why Be a Tutor?
Back on Track’s growth and continued success is based on the interest and commitment of our participants – our tutors, students, and parents/guardians. As a tutor and mentor with Back on Track, you can enjoy the satisfaction from encouraging students’ progress, empowering students to become academically self-reliant, and making an impact in the local community.
All participants go through a registration process which includes a paper application and an interview to assess needs, interests, and personality types. Each student is matched with a tutor based on four criteria: 1) subject; 2) age; 3) time availability; and 4) personality. After being matched, tutors are required to attend an orientation and training session.
WHAT TUTORS CAN EXPECT
- Careful matching with a K-12 student through student, parents, and tutor interviews
- Training and ongoing workshops
- Supervision and support in designing academic goals
- Encouragement in making a difference in the life of a young person
WHAT STUDENTS CAN EXPECT
- Support in building effective study skills
- A weekly two-hour commitment for tutoring from an adult
- A confidence-building environment
- Opportunities for cultural enrichment and fun activities
WHAT PARENTS CAN EXPECT
- Commitment to high quality tutoring and academic mentorship services for your child
- Professionally led workshops for parents
- A safe and nurturing student centered environment
- Ongoing monitoring and assessment of your child’s academic progress